Why We Start Here
Students and professionals often sit in one of several places related to career questions:
- I am not sure what career (or major) I should pursue?
- I like what I do, I just want more challenge and advancement - how?
- I want to change what I am doing, where to go now?
It can seem counter-intuitive, but, the more your focus, the better success you have. Your efforts will be more productive, your network will be more helpful, your messages will be clearer - and, your outcomes will be better.
This does not mean we "eliminate" choices and options, or pathways.
Focus and strategy is about PRIORITIZATION.
The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do.
- Michael Porter, Professor (and more), Harvard Business School
Building a Strategy
Reference and Reading
Here are a few resources that might be helpful for thinking and mindset:
- Pursuing Your Career Passion - by Pam Schilling
- How to Build a Meaningful Career: HBR Article
- Finding a Career Focus (Useful for college students/career changers): Download document
- Ted.com | Why you will fail to have a great career: Video link
- Creating a job search strategy: Article link
- How to create a strategic plan for your job search: Article link